Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Office, Episode 9.21: "Livin' the Dream"


Livin' the Dream really says a lot about Andy's worth as manager, versus Michael's. When Michael left the office, the show went out of its way to hit every possible emotional note that they could with the guy, following him around for almost the entire episode. Sure, there was some business with Gabe and Erin and Andy, but that was short and largely irrelevant even then. Naturally it's moreso now. Flash forward two years, and Michael's successor (well, his successor's successor) is leaving the office too....and his departure just reads as a subplot in an episode where Jim and Pam and Dwight and the somehow always comforting David Wallace are up to Far More Interesting Things.

And yet, Livin' the Dream is perhaps one of the best episodes the show has done in the post-Goodbye, Michael era. Don't take what I just said as a slight to this episode, because I believe its focus was in the right place. Because Andy is just kind of a useless lump. Or, at least, one could be forgiven for thinking that he's a useless lump, because everyone in the office would agree. (Because he fucking IS.)

That's not to say that Andy's story here is a total waste of time. For one thing, at least it's a Showbiz Andy story without Roseanne! And even though Andy's still annoying as shit, in this case it's a good excuse to give EVERYONE the opportunity to react to his obnoxiousness. It's the same basic joke, but seeing it filtered through each of these characters is somehow still fun. And it's a good sign that I'm having a hard time picking my favorite! The conviction Ellie Kemper gives to Erin's fears that Andy could "become homeless or maybe even starve" probably helps it edge out the competition, but it's close.

Some of the other characters' takes on the situation seem like thinly veiled meta-commentary, at least to someone like me, who is hateful and cruel. I mean, I'm someone who thinks that Phyllis' conclusion that, despite Andy's talent, "there's just something there you don't want to look at" is a not unreasonable description of Ed Helms. See? Hateful and cruel. And Kevin's assertion that Andy is "too charactery to be a lead" seems like a pretty flat statement of fact. Sadly, like the real Ed Helms, I have a feeling Andy's going to become famous in spite of all of this. Sigh.

Meanwhile, Jim and Pam spend most of the episode being sickeningly sweet to each other, I guess, mostly to comfort all the stereotypically emotional shippers whose hair was falling out due to the unbearable stress of watching fictional people have problems. Granted, I've always enjoyed their sickening sweetness too, and I can relate to being in the sort of relationship that just makes other people mad. But it seems surprisingly plotless, until last minute complications set stuff up for the next two episodes. The best moments? Probably Jim's hopeless attempts to bond with Pete in the annex. (Calling it now - Pete and Clark will end up hooking up, that is, if they haven't already!)

Oh, by the way - Dwight, who assaulted a coworker with a bull tranquilizer gun just a few weeks ago? He's the new manager, naturally. Like I mentioned when he shot Stanley in the chest, um, I don't think they've really presented the "Dwight is soooo mature now" storyline as clearly as they could've. Tonight, though? It's simply magic. Is there any scenario under which a Dwight/Jim hug would've been charming and heartwarming and erotic-to-certain-kinds-of-fans? Well......I'm sure I could contrive one, if I specifically tried. But I don't believe your average at-least-mildly-well-intentioned television comedy writer would just happen to spoil it by chance. And, as luck would have it, Niki Schwartz-Wright is an at-least-mildly-well-intentioned television comedy writer! And thus, warm hearts were had by all. And arousal by some.

Arousal by Angela, probably. She comes right out and says she's still in love with Dwight, thus confirming what just about every fan has known was the inevitable conclusion to their story since The Farm didn't pick up, thus fucking up Plan A. I think it's a good thing honestly, because I can't imagine Dwight's romance with Esther making for compelling television in ANY series. It's probably for the best that her role is limited to one or two Dwight-affirming Jeannie-isms per episode. This way, I get to spend more time watching Angela Kinsey do a bang-up job of having a breakdown on national television! And I get more of her surprisingly compelling weird friendship with Oscar! In my mind, at least, these are good things. The final scene in Oscar's car actually worked for me. (Have I ever mentioned that I tend to be a little more lenient than I probably should when it comes to emotional moments in final seasons?)

By the way, how weird is it that Andy and Angela used to date? While I appreciated that callback as I appreciate most of the callbacks in the show this season, their scene together was also striking for just how much each of their characters have changed. And the reminder that they never really had any sort of romantic chemistry.

Angela had more romantic chemistry with the mass of cat hair she plucked off her sweater in this episode than she ever had with Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment